Joshua Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3-13-2016. SCRIPTURE REFLECTION

+3
Ericajoy
JGStu
avbarte
7 posters

Go down

3-13-2016. SCRIPTURE REFLECTION Empty 3-13-2016. SCRIPTURE REFLECTION

Post by avbarte Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:41 pm

A journey through the books of John and Acts. To plant momentum and passion for the word.

READ
FOCUS VERSE John 1:29
John 1
John 2

The Lamb of God
John the Baptist was sent by God to announce Jesus’ coming. He prepared people for the One who would be a source of life and take away the sin of the world. As you read John 1 and 2, focus on the way John the Baptist and his first disciples responded to Jesus.

Reflection:
What do you see when you look at Jesus?
Do you see Someone who is worthy of your whole heart?
Is anything keeping you from being fully committed to Him?

avbarte

Back to top Go down

3-13-2016. SCRIPTURE REFLECTION Empty Re: 3-13-2016. SCRIPTURE REFLECTION

Post by JGStu Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:23 am

For the first time reading this i see that John didnt know Jesus was the Messiah until the Spirit landed on him and remained. I always thought John knew Jesus was the Messiah, i guess because when he was in the womb he jumped when Mary entered the house. It also strikes me that John's disciples kinda just abandoned him when they saw Jesus later. They were searching wholeheartedly for the Lord and weren't going to let "loyalty" to John stop them from finding and following Him.

JGStu

Back to top Go down

Post by avbarte Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:14 pm

The disciples left John to follow Jesus once they found out he was the Messiah. That's the passion they had. I want to have that same hunger and passion for Jesus and His word.
What puzzles me - why did Nathanael say:
““Nazareth!” exclaimed Nathanael. “Can anything good come from Nazareth?” “Come and see for yourself,” Philip replied.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:46‬ ‭NLT‬‬
I can relate to this -
““How do you know about me?” Nathanael asked. Jesus replied, “I could see you under the fig tree before Philip found you.” Then Nathanael exclaimed, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God—the King of Israel!” Jesus asked him, “Do you believe this just because I told you I had seen you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than this.””
‭‭John‬ ‭1:48-50‬ ‭NLT‬‬
I don't want to "believe just because" I've received a miracle. I want my faith to be constant and consistent.

avbarte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ericajoy Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:25 pm

What has been standing out to me lately is fearing God. Al at intercession said "who shall we fear? No one but God." Winky talked about fearing God in his message. When I read john 1& 2 it strikes me how much presence Jesus must have had. He speaks so directly with such power. He acts with such assurance and without fear. He violently turns over the money tables in the temple. The disciples are drawn to him. I imagine they would have feared him. It is my desire to fear no one or nothing but God. Ironic how thinking on fearing God makes me love Him and want to be devoted to Him even more.

It also strikes me how at the end of ch2 it says how Jesus did not trust himself to all those who believed in him because he knew knew what was in man. He knows our fickleness. God empower me to remain in You. I don't want to be fickle. I want to remain more and more in you. Trust me, choose me. I know I cannot by my own will power, but by your Spirit.

Ericajoy

Back to top Go down

Post by pearl Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:39 pm

“...And we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John‬ ‭1:14‬ ‭NASB‬‬. This stood out to me as what moved John the Baptist and those first disciples to respond the way they did. When I look at Jesus, I see His grace--like how He helped out the wedding party although I could see Him sighing at His mom who obviously knows what Jesus can do and can't keep her mama pride to herself. I also see His truth--He knows the holiness of the temple and won't stand for the desecration of His Father's house. Then, He is the perfect balance of grace and truth like when He confronts Nathanael on his doubt. "Brah, this is what you said but I not going rub it in." He does what it takes to drive the point home.

I do see Jesus as someone worthy of my heart, but after honestly searching myself, there are areas I'm still holding back. I think I'm afraid that if I go all-out for Jesus, it would mean my family would get neglected. I know that's not His heart & I'm sure I need to re-learn my definition of "all-out" but yeah...that's what I'm working through and figuring out.

pearl
Admin

https://joshuageneration.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

3-13-2016. SCRIPTURE REFLECTION Empty Power to become the sons (and daughters) of God.

Post by jburrill Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:50 pm

I love this verse:

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

What does this verse mean? The power to become a son or daughter of God. I wonder what this looks like from God's perspective.

Another cool thing I got from this reading was a sense of the preciousness of Jesus, the Word who was with God from the beginning, and is God. He is the Father's only begotten. In Matthew 3:17 God speaks and says Jesus is his beloved son in whom he is well pleased.

In Christ we also have the love of God and his pleasure directed toward us.

jburrill

Back to top Go down

Post by Derwin Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:53 pm

I read John 1 and 2 a few times. What really stood out for me was that Jesus would extend an invitation in just a few words. This invitation was an invitation of choice. Simple words, but powerful ones. For example, in John 1:39 Jesus responds to the two disciples in five simple words, "Come and you will see." This would be later repeated by Phillip in John 1:46, when Phillip say's, "Come and see." So I begin to notice a pattern from the first disciples that can be applied today. As we extend an invitation of choice to know who Christ is, we begin to lead others to follow Christ. Their decision to follow Christ is a result of an invitation as simple as, "Come and see." So as we begin to share Jesus with others, let's not forget extending an invitation to meet the Lamb of God, even if he is not physically seen.

Derwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonzimon Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:06 pm

A, some of you guys not really answering the questions. I mean that’s fine cause it’s reflection and everything but just saying. This is what I got before I read all your responses.

From reading John 1 & 2 I see Jesus as a man that knew who He was and kind of seems cocky because he was God. I don’t have a problem with people being cocky as long as they can back it up and Jesus did that so I feel he could be cocky if he wanted to be.

Yes.

I try to be fully committed to Him but it’s not easy as I am human and often times I have a difficult time hearing clearly what God wants me to do.

Sonzimon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down